Wednesday 30 September 2009

Last Weekend, Next Weekend


I found this little pet on Sunday, at the Gimme Shelter Vintage fair in Bristol, held in the retro bowling alley called The Lanes. Lots of lovely vintage stalls there, including Lizzie's - it was lovely to meet her again. I'm afraid I added more to my over-large stash of vintage fabric...

On my way home, I went into Paperchase (in Borders) to look at their 'kawaii' stationery. I bought a pencil tin and a photo album (I did actually need a photo album!).

And then in the magazine section, I found this wonderful publication.
I loved Jackie magazine when I was a teenager. I got the retro 'annual' they published a couple of years ago, but I couldn't resist getting this as well. My favourites are the fashion illustrations. I used to copy this style of drawing and I remember drawing a whole page of platform shoes in a history lesson. History lessons really helped my drawing skills.

So that was last weekend. Next weekend, on Saturday, I will be a guest shopkeeper at The Mythical Beast Sweet Shoppe in Weston-super-Mare, weather permitting. (They people who have the keys to the shop aren't there when the weather's bad.) Ostensibly, I will be there to sell art, but really I intend to eat as many of the sweets as I can! Heeheehee!! Sweeties!!!

7 comments:

Elaine Prunty said...

did you get last weeks original jackie comic with the observer ? complete with david essex on the cover....swoon... !
how lucky are you? even better than a kid in a sweet shop......an adult woman in a sweet shop

Country Cottage Chic said...

I was a Jackie girl too! My drawing skills improved greatly in maths lessons! ;-)

Jayne

menopausalmusing said...

Oh, but those drawings took me back.... It was the BIG eyes and the mouths with parted lips................ I used to love doing them.

BusyLizzie said...

good to see you at the fair on Sunday.. I was also a big Jackie fan & shoe scribbler.. platforms especially!
Thought of you this morning as I dusted my dolly darling collection! Have set up the 60's dollhouse once again so I can blog it on "my other blog".. lizzie x

Kitsch and Curious said...

Oh no - I didn't know about Jackie in The Observer. Drat & dang! I'll have to look for one...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who copied Jackie illustrations. I used to copy their 'humorous' writing style too. I cringe when I see things I wrote back then.

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Lucky girl, I really wanted to go but didn't in the end. You have bought some lovely things!
Isabelle x

TK said...

I felt really grown-up when I started reading Jackie. Before that, I read Diana - a magazine my gran got for me. I never managed to look like the Jackie girls, though.

I too used to draw the clothes but rather ineptly - and colour them in with felt pens