Thursday 18 September 2008

Flea market frenzy

More things to cheer me up. First a great postcard from my friend Tessa, which I got last week.
So sweet of her to send it just to cheer me up. I did need it!


Then on Sunday, I went to a flea market. Didn't have a lot of cash to spend, but found a few nice things. I think my favourite is probably this little cutie. She even has a tape measure in her plinth! (I really like the word plinth...)
I put quite a few other pictures on Flickr, but I'll show you another. It's a Dolly Darling clone. My partner Gary, bless him, bought this at the flea market for me. He was very excited because he thought he'd found me a Dolly Darling. I think it's pretty impressive of him to know what a Dolly Darling looks like at all, and she's a great little doll in any case. I then found her little friend on the same stall, so they're staying friends for now.

Why does shopping cheer me up so much? I think I must be very shallow. I'd like to pretend that all this vintage shopping is a stand against consumerism, but I would be a complete hypocrite. I like shopping of all kinds. I often think I missed my calling and I should have been a buyer for a department store. Maybe it's not too late?

Anyway, I really need to balance my buying with some selling. To that end, I've been putting lots of things on my vintage Etsy site,The Kitsch and the Curious. I'm trying to list things regularly, and I think it's paying off, as I've made a few more sales (none in the UK yet - does anyone look at it?). Probably not going to make my fortune just yet.

I had to smile this week when I saw that Gretchen from the marvellous Shop66 was blogging that she'd just got 200 items in her shop. It's funny how we all set these targets for ourselves. At the start of the month, I thought I would try to get 100 things in my shop by the end of September. I'm currently on 49...

No comments: