Tuesday 30 September 2008

Season of mists


At some point, every autumn, I will say to myself "Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness". Maybe just in my head, or maybe to someone else. I just can't help myself.

On Saturday, that quotation was even more apt than normal, while we were out for a walk on The Downs in Bristol (a lovely open area of grassland and trees in the middle of the city). We saw this mellowly fruitful apple tree, growing wild. The apples looked very red against the blue sky.

It was a beautifully crisp clear autumn day, and we stayed out, watching the sun set. As it did, a thick mist started forming at ground level, like an old horror movie. It made you want to run through it to set it swirling around you. However, we found out that only happens with the dry ice in films - the real mist was much less tangible. But it was still amazing. I've never been out in a mist quite like it, thick in places, but a clear bright sky overhead.

There are more photos on Flickr

1 comment:

Teena Vallerine said...

fantastic photos! t.x