Monday 27 September 2010

The Happy House - Lucie Smailes

Wow! I went to see the house and art of Lucie Smailes yesterday. Her house was open as part of the St Werburghs Art Trail in Bristol. (Bristol has several art trails, where artists in a particular area open their houses to the public, and display their art.) I have met Lucie a few times now, and I knew she has wonderful taste in vintage kitsch, and colourful 1950s clothes, but I hadn't seen her art in real life, only in photos.
I knew I was going to like it, (assemblages with dolls and vintage stuff - Hellooo!) but I had no idea quite how wonderful it would be. Mr Kitsch and I walked into her front room, converted into an art gallery for the occasion, and just stood there with our mouths open. Then, 'Look at that!', 'Did you see this?', 'Look at this amazing thing!'
 

The amazing thing above was a cabinet from an amusement arcade, with the mannequin head going round and round on a turntable, brushing noisily against the opticians lenses suspended around it.
Many of the pieces had lights incorporated into them, like these two. I wish my photos could do them justice, but I only had a phone to take pictures with, and I think I was shaking with excitement!

It wasn't just the art that was wonderful - Lucie's house is a shrine to colourful and kitsch ornaments of the 1950s, and I loved every inch of it. 
 
One final and rather wonderful discovery was that Lucie had featured in and help to style photos for one of my favourite kitsch books - 'Kitsch Deluxe'
 No longer available new it appears, but well worth seeking out if you like kitsch interiors.
Do take a look at Lucie's website for much better photos of her wonderful art.

6 comments:

shevie said...

Oh surely this is heaven-its all too much,I can just imagine how you felt trying to take it all in!!! I hope these pic's are going on flikr so I can fave them all!!x

Jane Housham said...

Oh lordy, it's too good! But surely you and Lucie are just two parts of the same being, temporarily separated. Brilliant -- and I've got to have that book too.

Sarah said...

Wow, that looks brilliant!
x

The Vintage Bazaar said...

I have heard a lot about this house, and boy is it just fab! Thank you for sharing.... I understand you met my friend Bronia recently! Lizzie x

Eartha Kitsch said...

Wow! Incredible! I'd love to be able to see all of that in person.

Jenny Holiday & Aaron said...

Ohhhh SO SO FUN!!! She is fantastic!! Thanks for sharing these pics!! What a fun time you must have had!! :)

xo Jenny