Wednesday 2 March 2011

Bargains, Bargains, Bargains!

Here are a few of my latest acquisitions from the Salisbury charity shops and a rather fine table-top sale last Saturday. Believe it or not, I am still being very restrained these days, and limiting what I allow myself to pick up. But I couldn't leave these little dogs behind, and I adore that guitar-playing rabbit tin (which Mr Kitsch found for 10p!). However I steeled myself and said no to the lovely vintage Poole coffee set for £3... And those 1920s plates, which were a real bargain, but I absolutely do NOT have any room for....
But....
 
... Sometimes when you see a bargain, you just have to go for it. Like these boxes of lovely old cotton reels. What is it about haberdashery that makes my heart skip? And I was even more excited to find that they were cheap enough for me to say "I'll take the lot.".  I wasn't sure what I was getting, but about half of them are vintage wooden ones - even the labels are a delight. And then when I got them home, I saw the labels on the boxes  - they once contained 'Fry's Crunchies' and 'Cadbury's Milk Fudge' (with a 'Controlled Price of 2½d').
I have to say I'm rather pleased with myself, as just lately I've been very envious of other people's bargain finds. I had started to think I wasn't going to find anything good any more. 

Of course, the more I buy, the more I have to turn out of the house, so it's just as well that I've booked a stall at the Vintage Jumble Sale at Rangeworthy Village Hall on Saturday. I expect there will be lots of bargains there, as we're all having a good old clear-out. I'd better get on with sorting out! And talking of putting off chores, what do you think of the rhyme on this mug I picked up last week?

12 comments:

Sue Brown said...

Oooooh! I now have severe haberdashery envy and will go and hunt out my cotton reels to calm myself down. The worrying thing is I can identify completely with your collecting mania. Great images by the way! X

cupcakejojo said...

What fantastic finds! Oh such delights & those cotton reels make me green with envy! I need some! Lol :) x

Straight Talking Mama! said...

oh those cotton reels, I sew and it's definately better to sew vintage clothes with vintage cotton! I'm jealous!

menopausalmusing said...

Another one here blown away by the cotton reels.......... wow!

Scarlett said...

what great finds!! Scarlett x

Jane Housham said...

Your finds are definitely top trumps. Gorgeous. I don't think I can pull another trip to my Mother-in-Law's in order to come to the sale. Shame. I do covet your cotton reels. I was quite taken with these cotton reel buttons: http://bettyjoy.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-tutorial-blog.html

Becksini said...

the cotton reels also made my heart jump a little bit. kt

Murgatroyd said...

Yep, those cotton reels (in a superb vintage cardboard box) have got us all hooked and salivating!
Your contribution to the coral reef looks pretty great too!

Unknown said...

ohhhhh I love those beautiful reels x

The Thriftaholic (Leilani) said...

I like all your wee animals in the first picture and I'm envious of that Smokey the Bear book.

I'm also drawn to vintage fabrics, laces & thread, I especially love the colours of the threads you found.

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Now that rabbit tin and the cotton reels are real treasures.. There is something about cotton reels en masse that is irresistible!
T'was lovely to see you both at the jumble yesterday amidst the bargains galore.

Michele x

Ticking stripes said...

Ohh - the labels on the cotton reels are the best bit! Lov'em!