Sunday 7 June 2009

What happened in May


There have been some very nice things happening in May, as well as the sad and difficult ones. Lots of things I would have told you about, but didn't get the chance. Top of the list was celebrating 20 years with Mr Kitsch. Twenty years since we decided to live together? It can't be that long, can it? (Of course we were very young.. Ahem! Cough!) We had a groovy get-together with friends, including the wonderful Katy, who not only made some hedgehogs with cheese and pineapple on sticks at our request (oh yeah, we're classy!), but she also made us a surprise Star Trek Transporter cake.

I wasn't able to do it justice in a photo, but I hope you get the idea. If you're wondering why Star Trek, take a look at my 16 things post.

I also visited a couple of great exhibitions - Bjorn Lie and Lindsay Stainer at the Here Gallery, and Calm Air All Ice, where I got to meet another blogger - the talented Camilla of Made by Milla. Wonderful to be able to chat about a shared love of vintage hankies! Unfortunately both exhibitions are now finished, but I highly recommend these artists.

Meeting online contacts/friends is a new and exciting venture for me. Since I've been working at home, I've got a bit lazy about getting out, meeting people and doing things. I think I need to start facing outwards into the world! The time of year helps- I like to hibernate in winter, but the springtime usually feels full of change and fresh starts.

In fact, I've been contemplating how May seems to be a time for life-changing events. As I've told you, it's when Mr Kitsch and I decided we should live together permanently. I've made some big decisions about career changes in May, like the first time I took voluntary redundancy, and set up a jewellery-making business. Or three years ago when we decided to sell our house and rent, so we could afford to change careers again. And then it was a year later in May, when we finally sold the house. Lots of friends and family have birthdays or anniversaries in May. Four years ago my father died, and now my mum has died in May too. Odd, isn't it? Even with the last two, I think May is a hopeful month. I suppose spring is a hopeful time.

My current hope is to devote more time to creativity, and generally get my mojo back. I have a mountain of vintage goodies to sell, and I want to build up my etsy shop. Here are a few of my latest kitschy purchases, most of them for my shop.

2 comments:

Teena Vallerine said...

Hey sweetie. I am so very sorry for your loss. This is such a brave post. You are in my thoughts. t.xx
Please, tell me there are wedding photos. I so very badly want to see your wedding photos!xx

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

Oh.. I know exactly what you mean about May being a significant month..
I am a great believer in something 'good' being born from adversity.. one door closes and another opens.. and I sincerely hope your life takes on new purpose and you have much to look forward to..

Congratulations on being with Mr Kitsch for 20 years.. I can see why.. he is lovely.. I did enjoy meeting you both.
That cake is a masterpiece...